Wednesday, December 08, 2010

A big week.....

This week started with news of Grandpa Cross' passing.  He was a very humble man.  He loved his family and would do anything for them.  I am blessed to have met him. Jackson was named after him.  I have always wanted a name continued through my kids middle names.  Even though we have been harassed by many do to its similarity to Jack Daniels, I am glad we chose Daniel, when we were naming Jackson.  I spoke with a young woman in the nursery during the funeral on Tuesday.  She was a member of their church and sat near them on Sunday mornings.  She didn't even now Grandpa as personally as those of us in his family, however his kind heart shown through to her, just in the way he handled himself sitting next to her and her family.  She said he never got upset even when her kids were loud.  My response was that he probably enjoyed it more than it bothered him.  We took the kids with to the funeral, we spent most of our time in the nursery, however we took them out to the grave site mainly for Avenlea to get a nap as we drove.  Jackson and I were talking as we waited for Adrian to return to the car.  We were talking about how Grandpa was sledding with Jesus in heaven in all the great snow.  He then asked where Daddy was and I said he was in that big green tent saying Goodbye to Grandpa.  Jackson responded:  Jesus is there too.  Some days I am sure this kid is connected in such a powerful way with our Lord and Savior.  I am certainly Glad Jackson has another Guardian Angel in heaven.  This holiday season will be a bit tougher not having Grandpa smiling at us and playing games with us, but we know he is in a much better place and God's timing is just right.

During this weeks events, we were also all taken down with the stomach flu. It was a great reminder to me that Jackson's immune system just isn't what everyone else's is.  All the rest of us have been hit for about 12-24 hours.  Jackson has been down for the count for about over 48 hours.  He has been able to continue drinking through this one and tylenol seems to give him some relief, but it reminds me how fragile he really is.  Sometimes I get annoyed when our plans have to change due to him or someone in the home we are going to getting sick, but It is for his good.  I need to remind myself of this when I am being scoffed at by people who just don't get what we are doing when we hunker in during the flu season.  But I am reminded this week how fragile life is and how much we need to take advantage of the time we have, living a life that is speaking to those around us with our actions.   I guess if I go out being someone who overly protected her family, I am ok with that.

Thank you Grandpa Cross for the incredible life you lived and I feel greatly blessed to have been able to be a part of your family for the last 6 1/2 years.

No comments: